Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Elder Gillespie Letter 04/16/12


What a week, starting out with a companion exchange. 

I worked in Alto Hospicio, the closest city to Pozo Almonte with missionaries, with Elder Howard on Monday, who has less time than I here in Chile so we had a lot of fun teaching, and about at 8 all the lights cut out in all of Alto Hospicio and in Iquique (down the hill and a big city) so we finished for the night. Tuesday I worked with the other district leader of our zone Elder Pulispher. As my district leader, Elder Deck, was with Elder Rojas in Pozo. That was the start of the adventures of this week. 
      So we have a couple people with baptismal dates, Hernan and Christan, father and son, their wife and mother, Rosa Elvida is a member and Hernan has come a long ways stopping drinking and smoking so we are looking for the 12th of May. However as well with Christan looking for work and most of the jobs here are 7 por 7 meaning you work 7 days and then have 7 days off we will have to see what we finds. 
     Also Elizabeth, she more found us than we found her. Hna. Claudia a member from Peru is good friends with Elizabeth and invited her to come have a lesson and so Elder Deck and Elder Rojas taught her in Hna. Claudia´s house. Which from what I understood it went very well, and then she came to our English Class which we had for the first time this week. Saturday´s at 7:00 in the chapel. (Everyone is invited [and I´ve gained a lot of respect for teachers teaching different languages]) Then she came to all three hours of church. Hope things will keep working out with her. 

     So a few new things this week. First the class of English 6 people came and we practiced introducing ourselves to one another. I had such a blast teaching. 

I also gave a talk this Sunday, speaking about charity and service how they go hand in hand. It was a little rough- I practiced before however when I got up there on the stand stage fright just got me. However afterwords there is good news. Asking a few members they said they at least understood what I was saying. (Which reminds me, a investigator we taught mentioned to me that right now I have a gift and a curse because I struggle speaking Spanish it makes people focus more on what I´m saying because they have to listen more intently to understand [So I guess the point is...it is ok to struggle in languages]) As I asked people if they understood I learned who really focused in church and who didn´t. 
Right after sacrament meeting ended up needing a Gospel Principles class, so I taught it, again had such a blast things went so much smoother than in my talk which is crazy how sometimes we wing things better than we prepare. I had a lot of fun teaching classes and look forward to it in the future. 

Well thank you for all

Have a Wonderful day- Because you can choose to
     Elder James O. Gillespie

No comments:

Post a Comment